Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Week 5-Assignment 4


Mary was able to recall the ideas that fish and whales are alike and different. She remembered that they are born in different ways and mentioned that they are different sizes (not written in passage). She was also able to recall that fish get food on their own as opposed to whales that get milk form their mothers for the first year. She also said that both have fins. I calculated that the total number of ideas was 16. Mary was able to answer the first implicit question about what the passage is mainly about. She was partially able to answer the second question about the explicit ways that whales and fish are different. I did not see her answer the rest of the questions so it is hard to determine the exact level that she is on. Presumably though I would think that since she answered 3/4 questions correctly and based on her previous answers I think she would answer the following questions correctly, I think this passage is instructional.

I feel that Mary has strong word identification and is a fluent reader. I feel that it would be beneficial for her to work on her comprehension and her prior knowledge

1 comment:

  1. You are right. May seemed a little weak in the comprehending the expository text, specifically the one without prior knowledge. It may be helpful to do another expository text assessment and compare with her assessment on reading the narrative text. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete