Thursday, February 13, 2014

Week 3 Assignment 3

What is QRI5?
QRI5 is an informal reading assessment that is used to determine a child's word identification, comprehension, and the circumstances where students can read and understand fluently. The system was developed over many years and was researched thoroughly. There are passages that are appropriate for different grade levels from first grade through high school. Along with these passages are word lists and questions that asses literal and deeper meaning of the material.


  • What is the purpose of using QRI5?
  • The purpose of using QRI5 is for the teacher to be aware of her students' reading abilities and be able to plan accordingly. Based on the results of this test, the teacher can choose appropriate reading material for her student, focus more on a skill that seems to be lacking etc.



  • Have you seen similar assessment activities like QRI5? What are they?
  • I am not so familiar with the proper names of the assessments. However when I was a teacher's assistant in a first grade classroom I remember the teacher reading through different passages with the children and testing the correct words per minute that the children read from a word list.



  • What is your impression of QRI5?
  • My impression of QRI5 is that it is a thought out process that really comes with all of the tools for teachers to implement the assessments successfully. Honestly straight after I read about QRI5 I thought "what a great business to be able to market assessment packages to schools!". It seems that this tool is fully loaded with all of the materials to make teachers lives easier. An effective and easy way to asses our students-what could be better?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment