Interview questions with classroom teacher: This
interview was done with Mrs. Gila Strauss, the head of the English Chug School in Israel. She works in
conjunction with the Israeli schools and is in charge of teaching English to
the children in her neighborhood.
• Please
describe your ELL teaching experience.
As an ELL teacher for orthodox Jewish Israeli children, I have to balance a
mix of fun and education. My class is on top of an already intense Hebrew
educational program. I need to be considerate of the cultural differences
between American and Israeli styles and accommodate their sensitivities. For
instance these children live very sheltered lives and try to limit outside
influences such as the internet and secular books. This presents a challenge
when trying to come up with materials for these children to read.
What is your
perception on ELLs in terms of their learning motivation and performance(especially
in reading and writing)? What learning difficulties do ELLs usually encounter
in schools? What is the role of family and community in helping ELLs’ learning?
Since my students are learning an entire curriculum in Hebrew plus English
class, it is hard to encourage my class to make my class their main focus.
However, they are all motivated to learn English since they feel that it will
open many more windows of opportunity for them. In Israel it is considered cool
to speak English. Although this is the case, not always is the motivation to be
“cool” enough to motivate the students to put in the hard work it takes to
learn a new language. There are many students however who are motivated and are
able to achieve great heights in their English studies. Studying English is
like any other subject, if you are good at it that makes it all the easier to
absorb.
Some of the learning difficulties that ELLs encounter are a clash in
culture and style. There are many subtle differences in every culture that are
often overlooked but for children can make a tremendous difference on a
student’s perception of a situation. Furthermore, when students try to
translate in their head from their native language to English, often these
translations do not work and what comes out is incoherent.
The role of family and community in helping ELL’s learning is crucial.
Learning English should be encouraged at home. Teachers need to keep in mind
however that it’s important for students to also maintain their cultural
identity even while adapting to their new English speaking setting.
In your opinion, how
do classroom teachers resolve ELLs’ learning difficulties? What strategies do
you adopt? Are they effective or not? Do you participate in on-going
professional training for teaching ELLs? What is your experience in terms of
working students from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds? How do you
make sure that your teaching is culturally responsive? How do you go about
reaching out to the family and the community?
In my opinion it is up
to the teacher to set the climate of tolerance in the classroom. ELL students
need to feel that they are in a safe environment in order to effectively learn
English. It needs to be known that is okay to make mistakes and that we are all
here to learn together. When students make grammatical mistakes when they speak
I often ask them to repeat themselves appropriately. Usually this is effective
since it causes students to repeat their thinking process and analyze what
sounded right and what did not. Other times the student gets into an even
deeper hole. As far as professional training for teaching ELLs, I do not
participate in any formal seminars. I am however in contact with the principal
of the school who is an expert in this area. Before I came to Israel I never
taught students who did not speak the same first language as me. I was
pleasantly surprised at the similarities that the children had to my former
students and the unique differences that made my Israeli students a refreshing
bunch! The English Chug School is very strict to respect the sensitivities of
the students’ families as mentioned earlier. I am thankful for this since I am
protected from insulting anyone. I do not go out of my way to reach out to my
students’ families since in Israel they are the natives and I am the foreigner.
I am in touch with them though about their children’s progress.
If you have an
ELL in your class whose culture you are not familiar with at all, how do you go
about teaching the child?
I had a
student who came from a Sefardic background (his family originated from
Persia). I was unfamiliar with his background and customs but I was curious to
gain a feel for where the boy was coming from. So, in front of the whole class
I asked him questions about his culture. He was very forthcoming with the
information and was so happy that I had put in the effort to know and appreciate
his background. We laughed about our similarities and differences, and we went
on with the rest of the lesson.
----(post)
Please
describe the ELL’s performance (in terms of learning motivation and writing
skills) after participating in this project.
The topic that
we chose about the student’s vacation I felt was a great way to motivate him to
write. His motivation for writing in general I don’t think improved as a result
in participating in the project. He did however gain an important tool on how to
plan before writing so that he is work comes out better.
In your
opinion, how did this partnership affect the ELL’s learning performance and
motivation?
The relationship
between the student and Aviva was strong. The student is not the most outgoing,
but he responded well from working with her.
What did you
learn from this school-university partnership model?
I learned about the
many programs there are available for students to get their Master’s degree,
even in Israel! With all that aside, I was impressed with the lesson template
and I thought that it was very thorough. I also found the standards that the
lesson corresponded to very specific and a great guideline for teachers.
What
difficulties did you encounter in this school-university partnership model?
I did not
really encounter any difficulties except for giving over IEPs. The process was
overall very smooth.
What would you suggest to improve the school-university partnership model?
As a
teacher I would be interested to speak the professors of the university. I feel
that I would gain a clearer idea of what is expected and will gain from their
knowledge.
This is an interesting experience! So English is their 2nd language? Is it mandatory to learn throught the curriculum? Reading your report, I feel that your focus is on foreign language aquisition, therefore, in some aspects, the definition of English Language Learners (ELLs) is somewhat different in socio-cultural context. According to NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English), these are the differences among the key terms:
ReplyDelete1. ELL (english Language Learner): an active learner of the English language who may benefit from various types of language support programs. This term is used mainly in the U.S. to describe K–12 students.
2. ESL (English as a second Language): formerly used to designate ELL students; this term increasingly refers to a program of instruction designed to support the ELL. It is still used to refer to multilingual students in higher education.
3. EFL (English as a Foreign Language) students: non-native-English-speaking students who are learning English in a country where English is not the primary language.
It sounds like your target student is learning EFL. Still I am sure he struggles with some learning difficulties with the language that is foreign to him. I am not sure if the Common Core Standards would apply to him well. That being said, the strategies used are apporpiate to address his needs. Good job! :D
Thanks:) It makes sense that there would be different categories of students who are learning English as a second language. It is also interesting to note how in other countries learning a different language is almost a give in. I feel that the mentality to learn other languages is much more wide spread in non-US countries. Perhaps Americans feel that since everyone else is learning English why should they bother learning a different language?
Delete